On his first full day in office, President Joe Biden announced new travel requirements into the U.S. Aside from providing negative COVID-19 test results before boarding, all travelers coming from abroad—U.S. citizens and permanent residents included—will have to follow CDC recommendations and quarantine after international travel for 10 days upon arrival.
Anyone traveling to the States by plane “will need to test before they get onto that plane before they depart and quarantine when they arrive in America,” the president said in a press conference. The official details around the quarantine after international travel—including when it will go into effect—are under review by a number of federal agencies that deal with air travel and public health.
The executive order also asks federal agencies to consider what a vaccination certificate process—like the vaccination paperwork (called an ICVP) used for yellow fever—would look like during this pandemic. Updates from the agencies will come within the next week.
For those traveling to Hawaii, Hawaiian Airlines has begun pre-clearing passengers departing from select US mainland cities to Hawai‘i under a program that allows travelers with a negative COVID-19 test to bypass the airport screening in Hawai‘i.
This includes both visitors and returning Hawai‘i residents who meet the state of Hawai‘i’s pre-travel testing requirements to be exempt from quarantine will receive a Pre-Clear wristband from a Hawaiian Airlines guest service agent who will verify passenger documents prior to boarding.
Travelers whose negative COVID-19 test results are not uploaded to the Safe Travels app prior to departure or not made available during screening will be required to sign the state of Hawai‘i’s 10-day self-quarantine agreement.
To qualify for the pre-clear program, complete the following steps:
- Create a Safe Travels account for every adult on the itinerary.
- Add all flight and lodging information to the account.
- Complete the mandatory health questionnaire within the account.
- Upload negative test result (PDF format) from a state-approved testing partner to your Safe Travels account. We also recommend bringing a printed copy of your negative result.
These documents will be verified during the pre-screening process prior to departure or during the screening process upon arrival in Hawaii. If your valid negative COVID-19 test results are not uploaded to the Safe Travels app prior to departure or not made available during screening, you will be required to sign the 10-day self-quarantine agreement.
The pre-clear program for Hawaiian Airlines is available at these airports:
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO) – Currently available
- Phoenix International Airport (PHX) – Available beginning Jan. 29
- John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) and Long Beach Airport (LGB) – Available beginning Jan. 30
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS) – Available beginning Jan. 31